A modern backcountry ski guide for the roadside areas found along The Icefields
Parkway in Banff National Park. Includes detailed descriptions, directions, terrain photos and maps for skiing everything from chill yoyo laps to committing, no fall, lines.
This 256 page, 8.5 by 5.5 guidebook includes 151 colour pictures, 30 topo maps, 27 ski zones with 119 runs/routes leading to many hundreds of ski descents to keep even the most keen skier busy for many seasons.
Four guest writers help include the most gnarly lines found along this section of The Icefields Parkway including Grand Daddy Couloir, Gutentight Couloir and Funnel Of Death.
- Hector South Ridge
- Hector South Peak
- Mount Hector Roadside
- Hector Pass
- Noseeum Creek
- Mosquito Creek
- Helen Creek
- Helen Shoulder
- Crystal Ridge
- Cirque Forepeak
- Observation Sub Peak
- Observation Peak
- Waputik Peak
- The Pulpit Knobs
- Bow Peak Roadside
- Crowfoot Pass
- Bow Lakeside
- Ferris Glacier
- Wapta Icefield
- Mount Jimmy Jr
- Bow Summit and six Day Traverses.
Marcus Baranow has dedicated the last decade of his life exploring, documenting and writing about the backcountry skiing found in and around Banff National Park. His previous books covered the area found along The Great Divide between Citadel Pass and Egypt Lake. He spends 100-150 days a year skiing in the Canadian Rockies and his blog Confessions Of A Ski Bum is regarded as a go to source for current conditions by many local skiers and guides. He currently lives in Lake Louise Alberta, found just minutes away from The Icefields Parkway.
The four guest writers for this book include:
- Kevin Hjertaas, ACMG Ski Guide, ex-pro skier and Rockies big line legend.
- Matt Ruta, former member of the Alberta Ski Cross Team and current big line pioneer.
- Kieran Crimeen, photographer and holder of the (in)famous @shittymountaineer IG account.
- Robb Schnell, mountaineer with many hundreds of peaks under his belt, including all 58 Canadian Rockies 11,000 footers.