Words By: Simon Coward
As the holiday season comes around, for many of us in the northern hemisphere the rivers are either dried up or frozen over and paddlers are passing time until the snow melt with other activities. But, as someone who is close to a paddler you know they are always thinking about it. Here is a guide to strategic gift giving for the paddler(s) in your life. (paddler categorization included….)
THE YEAR-ROUND PADDLER
A somewhat rare breed, but something drives them to paddle at least once a month even in the coldest of climates
1. ANYTHING THAT IMPROVES THEIR HEAD/HAND WARMTH SITUATION
If the year-round paddler in your life has holy (and not religiously speaking) gloves or mitts this can make for some very unpleasant times on cold paddling days.
- NRS MAMBA POGIES $64.95 + gst CLICK HERE
- NRS MAVERICK GLOVES $69.95 + gst CLICK HERE
- NRS TOASTER MITTS $64.95 + gst CLICK HERE
2. WARM AND GRIPPY FOOTWEAR
Surprisingly enough, it is pretty straight forward to keep your core warm when paddling even in really cold conditions, it’s the feet, that really is a struggle to stop from getting painfully cold.
- NRS HYDROSKIN 0.5 WETSOCKS $37.95 + gst CLICK HERE
- NRS PADDLE WETSHOE $69.95 + gst CLICK HERE
- NRS ATB WETSHOE $89.95 + gst CLICK HERE
3. WATER TIGHT SPRAY SKIRT
Having water leaking through your Sprayskirt onto your lap really is the definition of unpleasant. Even with a drysuit on, during winter paddling this really sucks.
- LEVEL SIX KING RAND SPRAYSKIRT $200.00 + gst CLICK HERE
- IR LUCKY CHARM RAND SPRAYSKIRT $279.95 + gst CLICK HERE
- IR ROYALE RAND SPRAYSKIRT $309.95 + gst CLICK HERE
THE BEGINNER PADDLER
They have only recently taken it up, but you can’t get them to stop talking about paddling.
1. AQUABATICS WHITEWATER INSTRUCTIONAL SEASON PASS
he Aquabatics Annual Instructional Season Pass is designed for those who want to get the most out of their paddling season. It gives the purchaser unlimited access to most of our courses (Whitewater, SUP, Recreational and more) for a whole year with one super reasonable price.
- Instructional Season Pass $1,200.00 + gst CLICK HERE
Be a Class V (ie. EPIC) gift giver for the beginner or advanced paddler in your life. Check some of the in-stock options available below:
- .Aquabound 198cm Fibreglass Whitewater Paddle - $189.95 + gst - CLICK HERE
- Werner Player 194cm Straight Shaft Paddle: $343.00 + gst - CLICK HERE
- Werner Powerhouse 197cm Bent Shaft Paddle: $540.00 + gst - CLICK HERE
You are considering buying this person a gift, it is a safe bet you like them and would like to keep their head in one piece. A helmet achieves this goal even in a capsize in whitewater!
- NRS HAVOC LIVERY HELMET UNIVERSAL $54.95 + gst CLICK HERE
- WRSI CURRENT PRO HELMET 2019 $149.95 Sale price$109.95 + gst CLICK HERE
- SWEET STRUTTER KAYAK HELMET $239.99 + gst CLICK HERE
THE INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED PADDLER
They have been at this for a while, they have all their gear and know what they like and how to use it.
For safety reasons whitewater kayaks need float bags in the back (to prevent the boat sinking in the event of a swim), why not double that space with storage with the innovative and bombproof Futa Stowfloat from Watershed.
- WATERSHED FUTA STOW FLOAT $169.99 + gst CLICK HERE
2. NRS Co-pilot knife
This little beauty is low profile and high function when it comes to rescuing or practical situations. Great features - smooth and serrated cutting edges, blunt safety tip, bottle opener, etc. Compact design is a fine fit for your PFD. The blunt tip design protects against unintentional puncture of your gear or yourself. The unique sheath firmly locks the knife in place and only lets it go when you squeeze both sides of the release. A river knife is a must for beginners and experienced paddlers alike its a perfect gift for someone or for yourself.
- NRS Co-pilot knife $59.95 + gst CLICK HERE
3. JACKSON HAPPY THRUSTER COMBO
Does your paddling gift receiver have a playboat? If so the Jackson Happy Thruster Combo is a must-have for getting bigger air, and throwing those crowd-pleasing tricks! They fill up with air so pack down small to fit under the tree or in a Christmas stocking.
- JACKSON HAPPY SEAT AND THRUSTER COMBO $118.99 + gst CLICK HERE
STOCKING STUFFERS FOR ALL
1. POCKET DISKS
These packable, most excellent and fair trade Frisbees are hand crocheted in Guatemala and are a hit with everyone
- $16.95 - $19.95 - CLICK HERE
2. COTTONMOUTH NOSE PLUGS
Comfy, grippy, low profile. Cottonmouth Nose Plugs offer the latest in quality, design, and style. They keep the water out without feeling like your nose is in a vice. Its bite is gentle.
- $13.95 - CLICK HERE
3. GEAR AID AQUASEAL +FD
Aquaseal FD Flexible Durable Repair Adhesive is ideal for repairing holes and tears in dry bags, wetsuits, paddling apparel and latex gaskets. Waterproofs seals and protects against abrasion. Works great for replacing latex gaskets and for adding an abrasion-resistant layer on boats and other boating gear.
- $9.95 - CLICK HERE
Best of luck with all your Christmas shopping! If you have any questions about these or other products we have we would love to hear from you. You can get a hold of us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (403) 288 9283.
WE OFFER FREE SHIPPING ON REGULAR SIZED ITEMS OVER $75 ALL ACROSS CANADA
From the Aquabatics Team