Words by Simon Coward
The time of year has come again that we start to cast our minds to winter sports and to saying goodbye to long summer days and time on the river. However, the upside to that is our annual film competition and season social event is coming up. We really hope you can join us on November 15th, 2018 at Schanks NW for this super fun event. The event will kick off around 7pm, there is great food and drink available and, kids under 18 are welcome until 9pm.
Along with showcasing a bunch of great local short videos we are going to be screening the 27 minute feature film INSIDE the INDUS!
This year we have 2 different categories that you can enter in:
- The full meal deal, a 5 minute or less kayak film. It can be full of super gnarly boating, or, (and often most popular) your own creative spin on what a kayaking film should be about. Please follow this link for submission details
- Our photo comp (in 2015). To enter this simply post your picture on the event facebook page. We will mash them into a slideshow, and, will show it at the event. A number of winners will be picked and prizes given. You can upload your pictures here. There is a maximum of 5 photos per person. This is the easiest way to get involved in this event, so get those pics up there!
Tickets are available for purchase online here at the pre-buy rate ($10), tickets will also be available at the door for $15 on the night.
As always we want to acknowledge the amazing sponsors that continue to support this, and many other local paddling events. For 2016 we again have on board NRS, Dagger, Kokatat and Werner, all contributing some pretty legit prizes to our little film comp. The prizes for this year are as follows:
- DRAW PRIZE FOR ALL FULL FILM ENTRIES: Choice of any Dagger Whitewater Kayak to be delivered January 2019. Value $1500 +
- KOKATAT: A drysuit of the winners choice. Value $1200 - $1400
- WERNER: A Performance core whitewater paddle of the winners choice. Value $550 - $650
- NRS: 2 x $250 NRS shopping sprees through Aquabatics Calgary. Value 2 x $250
- AQUABATICS CALGARY: Gift cards of varying amounts.
All entrants in the full film category win a prize, there will be a limited number of draw prizes and, we may even have some kind of raffle, though we need to figure that out. What I do know is that there will be food and booze available to buy at Schanks and lots of great boating videos to watch
So, we hope you will join us, and also hope you find inspiration to enter. The more entries the merrier, and the more paddlers who join us on the night, the more fun it'll be.
A few past entries below to check out for inspiration!
2017 Winning Video - Yakkin By Odin Pryor
2016 2nd Place - Paddling AB/BC - Etienne Beland