Lee is lucky enough to live in an adventurous paddling family. She and her family have spent most of the last five years living a nomadic lifestyle chasing water across North America. She is happiest when playing outside with friends and family.
We were stoked to have her on board last year as an ambassador and if there was a word for "more stoked" I would use it to describe how we feel to have her as the leader of the pack as the Ambassador Team manager. Check out her twenty questions below.
1. Who the heck are yeah?
I am a wife and mother in an amazing paddling family. We changed our life course six years ago and have spent most of our time since then travelling around chasing outdoor adventures - mostly whitewater kayaking with some mountain biking, surfing and skateboarding thrown in on the side. I am also the Aquabatics Ambassador Team Manager, Chair of the Canadian Freestyle Kayak Committee and a self-employed consultant.
2. Where yeah from?
Born in Ontario, lived across Canada from Quebec City to Victoria, currently a Yukon resident that spends lots of time exploring rivers across Canada
Say hi to Lee and her Fam.
3. When did you start paddling?
I first learned to paddle on the Ottawa River
4. How did you connect with Aquabatics?
Happy Aquabatics shoppers for years. We joined the Ambassador Team in 2019 and love working with this group of passionate paddling people!
5. What are you looking forward to this upcoming season as The Aquabatics Team Manager?
I am looking forward to support the Ambassadors as they spread their stoke for paddling throughout western Canada, helping to get more people out on the water.
6. Why kayak when there’s so many other ways to get on the water?
It doesn’t matter how you get on the water, just do it! I’m lucky enough to get to kayak, canoe, SUP and surf - and love all of them.
7. Do you remember what your first boat was? colour?
My first whitewater boat was a white R9.
8. If you could build the perfect kayak what would it look like?
I’m pretty happy with my current boats - Jackson Antix, Zen and Rockstar
Smile for the camera.
9. Where’s your favorite place to paddle, well one your comfortable sharing with the world anyway?
I have lots of favorites - too hard to choose. Ottawa River for the big (& warm) water and how awesome it is for progression, Skookumchuk wave for big green surfing surrounded by ocean sealife, Costa Rica and Ecuador for the amazing people and diversity of paddling
10. What's the longest commute you’ve made for a weekend of paddling?
We’ve driven 3 days from the Yukon to paddle the Kan for a week
11. Do you enjoy paddling competitions? Why?
I love the camaraderie of paddling festivals and competitions. We’ve created some “mom” categories during the Colorado tour and that has helped get a lot of women out into the competition who normally wouldn’t participate, and that is super fun.
12. How are you pushing yourself on the water?
Keeping up with my husband and son challenges me on a daily basis, while also making things fun.
13. What are your paddling strengths?
Areas for improvement? My biggest strength is my passion for being out on the water. I’m working on getting better at steep creeking and learning to love rocks.
14. What’s your dream run or trip?
Chile is on my list and we’ll hopefully get there in the next few years.
15. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen while paddling?
Toss up between the green travertine in Mexico and ocean paddle surfing with dolphins
16. What’s the best advice you would give to someone brand new to paddling?
Take a lesson to get some basic skills and then join your local paddling club to meet some like-minded people.
17. If you could go paddling with anyone in the world past or present who would it be?
My favorite people to paddle with are my boys (husband and son) because we create so many memories, and Eric Jackson because he does such a good job at pushing my comfort zone without pushing too far.
A family at play together, surfs up!
18. Is there anything you would change about sport?
I think the most important thing about paddling is being outside with friends. There is a perception that you have to continually tackle more and more difficult things and that’s just not true. Do what works for you and makes you happy.
19. If you had to pick your favorite flavor or jam what would it be and why?
Berries Berries and more Berries - doesn’t matter what kind. Mixing is even better!
20. Is there anything I missed you wanted to add?
You can find more info on our adventures at www.instagram.com/chasingthesunyt , www.facebook.com/chasingthesunyt and www.chasingthesun.ca
Thanks Lee for taking some time to answer some questions. We look forward to you at the helm of the ambassador team this year and our stoed to follow along with some of your adventures.
Questions by Andy W. Answered by Lee V.