You may recognized this bearded fellow from the lakes or Alberta paddling social media. Paul is happiest when he's outdoors, especially when paddling his Dagger Stratos Kayak. He gets immense enjoyment every season of the year, regardless of the challenging weather conditions that Mother Nature sometimes throws his way. Were glad he could be part of the ambassador team this year and look forward to what this season brings. Check out his twenty questions below.
1. Who the heck are yeah?
Paul Kolman- Flat water kayak junkie
Out for a paddle. Hats off to you Paul!
2. Where yeah from?
Born in Czechoslovakia. Lived in West Germany for a while. Immigrated to Canada in 1967. Lived in Northern Manitoba for a few years. Moved to Calgary and went to High School there. Then moved to New Westminster in B.C. for about 19 years and moved back to Calgary in 1997.
3. When did you start paddling?
Started paddling 2005 and took a bunch of courses through Aquabatics.
4. What are you looking forward to this upcoming season as an Aquabatics Ambassador?
Introducing more people to safe flat water paddling on the many lakes around here
Its tough to experience these views any other way.
5. Why kayak when there’s so many other ways to get on the water?
Had a canoe and a motor boat at one time but feel most happy in my kayak
6. Do you remember what your first kayak was? colour?
Wavesport Ethos 10. Lava colour
7. If you could build the perfect kayak what would it look like?
Can’t really improve on the designs out there now.
Paul and his Stratos having a time!
8. Where’s your favorite place to paddle, well one your comfortable sharing with the world anyway?
One of my favourites would be Lower Kananaskis Lake
9. What's the longest commute you’ve made for a weekend of paddling?
Lake Kalamalka in B.C
10. Do you enjoy overnight expeditions in your kayak? Why?
Love them. You’re out in nature
11. How are you pushing yourself on the water?
Getting more and more comfortable in high winds and rough waters.
12. What are your paddling strengths?
Long distance paddling- endurance
13. What would be some areas for improvement?
Need to perfect my roll
14. What’s your dream run or trip?
Dream trip is the Yukon 700 Race to the midnight sun
15. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen while paddling?
A bald eagle catching a fish in front of me carrying it up to his nest only to have it stolen in mid air by a hawk. That was on Chain Lake
Pauls out for a chilly paddle
16. What’s the best advice you would give to someone brand new to paddling?
Take kayak courses. Dress for the water not the air.
17. If you could go paddling with anyone in the world past or present who would it be?
Bill Mason. Canadian Naturalist
18. Is there anything you would change about sport?
Just getting more people out there to do it safely. such as wearing a PFD and actually having it secured
19. If you had to describe yourself with as ice cream flavor, what would it be and why?
Plain ice cream because you can add anything to it without spoiling it
20. Is there anything I missed you wanted to add?
Love to meet new paddlers and paddle new lakes
Stoked to hear Pauls answers and learn a little more about him. Check our his and other ambassador blogs here.
Dont forget his socail media.
Facebook @Paul Kolman
Questions by Andy W. Answered by Paul K