Words By:Simon Coward
Alberta Slalom Canoe and Kayak, NRS, Aquabatics Calgary and Kootenay River Runners are super stoked to announce the 2nd Annual Toby Creek Kayak Race and Festival for 2016. The dates for this years event are July 22nd - 24th, with all the competitions, prize giving and festivities scheduled for the Friday night and then all day Saturday and Sunday.
Categories for 2016
- Intermediate: Class II/III, 5 slalom gates. Run 1 qualification, Run 2 Final. Max 30 competitors. Saturday Morning.
- Expert: 2 or 3 runs Class III+ / IV, best run counts. Will either be on Slipping Rock rapid or the 2015 racecourse (level dependent). Max 30 competitors. (Saturday PM)
- Elite: 2 or 3 runs Class IV / IV+, best run counts. Will either be on Slipping Rock rapid or the 2015 racecourse (level dependent). Max 30 competitors. (After Expert)
- Rafting: Boats of 6 people (sign up as a team or individually), 1 run with a guide, prizes for best costumes, fastest run and more. Race finishes right in Panorama. (Sunday morning)
- Intermediate Boater X: Heats of 4 on Class II/III, top two in each heat progress until we have a winner.
- Expert Boater X: Head to Head heats on Class III+/IV, winner in each heat advances until a winner is decided.
- Elite Boater X: Head to Head heats on Class III+/IV, winner in each heat advances until a winner is decided. Winner take all for prize money.
We have camping available free with registration, trailers, tents etc are all welcome. It is basic and with minimal facilities though it is down by the river and a stones throw from the adventure center which will be the base of events.
If you want to sleep off the ground, Panorama Mountain Village are offering 10% - 20% discounts off on mountain accommodations for the weekend. Simply call 1.800.663.2929 and ask what specials are available for Toby Creek race attendees/participants.
On the Saturday evening we have a prize giving with music, dinner and a beer garden setup. You will be given a full list of details on that when you hit up the registration table on the Friday evening.
We do request that ALL race participants, coaches and volunteers register for this event. Registration fees and inclusions are below:
- Racers (all categories): $75
- Volunteer/Official: $30
- Coach or Spectator: $30
- Boater X Event: $20
- Raft Racers: $20 per person or $100 for a raft of 6 people
- Racers: Entry into Saturday race, camping, dinner on Saturday night ad access to event venue/beer gardens etc (beer extra)
- Volunteer / Official: Camping, dinner on Saturday night and access to event venue/beer gardens etc (beer extra)
- Coach or Spectator: Camping, dinner on Saturday night and access to event venue/beer gardens etc (beer extra)
- Boater X Event: Entry into the Boater X event category (1) of your choice only (this is an add on to the racer fee)
- Raft Racers: Entry into the raft race (this is an add on to event rego fees)
A portion of all race registrations go towards the prizes in each Category. Though an outline of what to expect are as follows:
- Elite (Mens): 1st Place MINIMUM $1000; 2nd and 3rd TBD based on entries
- Elite (Womens): 1st Place MINIMUM $500; 2nd and 3rd TBD based on entries
- Expert (Mens): 1st Place Gala Sport Creeking Paddle; 2nd Place $200 NRS Prize Pack; 3rd Place WRSI Elbow Pads
- Expert (Womens): 1st Place Astral Layla PFD; 2nd Place $200 NRS Prize Pack; 3rd Place WRSI Elbow Pads
- Intermediate: NRS Zen Rescue PFD; 2nd Place $200 NRS Prize Pack; 3rd Place WRSI Elbow Pads
- Raft Race: 1st Place winner takes all - 6 person full day rafting trip on the Kicking Horse
- Boater X (all divisions): Winner takes all cash prizes based on number of registrations
Note: Prizes and values are subject to change without notice
Schedule of Events
- 5pm - 9pm: Registration at Adventure Center. Music and other entertainment will be on during this time at the Adventure Center.
- 9am - Racers Meeting
- 10am - Intermediate race - ‘Nationals’ site
- 12:30pm - Expert Race - Slipping Rock (levels dependant)
- 3:30pm - Elite Race - Slipping Rock (levels dependant)
- 6pm - Dinner/Prizes/Music
- 9am Racers Meeting
- 10am - Raft Race
- 12pm - Intermediate Boater X - 4 boats
- 2pm - Advanced Boater X - Head-to-head
- 3:30 - Elite Boater X - Head-to-head
Cant wait to see you all there!